Sunday, March 20, 2005

Austin Regional Recap (Day 2 Round 2)

(1) Duke 63 - (9) Mississippi St. 55
I have to start this summary by saying Billy Packer makes Dick Vitale look unbaised (at least I like "Dookie" V). To any unbiased person this should be obvious why. Ok now onto the summary. Duke should be thanking God that Mississippi St. could not make any free throws or layups. Mississippi St. missed 19 layups and 10 free throws. Duke looks vunerable on the inside. Sure they had a few key blocks at the end of the game, but that was the exception. As I thought, Duke's depth is a problem. When Duke got in foul trouble Mississippi went on a run that almost (should have) gave them the victory. Give Duke credit for stepping up at then end with key blocks and shots when they needed them badly. As for the refs I thought the game was well called. (my wife disagrees) After this game Clark Kellogg does not look as crazy for picking Michigan St. to make it to the final 4. Seems like a better bet than Duke at this point. I'll have to ponder and I will give my prediction later in the week.

(5) Michigan St. 72 - (13) Vermont 61
Easy win for Michigan St. Vermont hung close through the first half when they were draining 3's, but once they stopped falling Michigan St. took over and cruised to an easy victory. The Michigan St. defense was tough. Vermont had trouble getting buckets inside and with the pressure on the outside, Vermont only shot 31%. Izzo saw the tapes from the Syracuse game and adjusted accordingly to avoid any chance of an upset.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home